RSS

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Canada Day and Strawberry Season

Oh, 'tis the season to celebrate Canada Day and strawberries. To start off: Happy 141st Birthday Canada! Hard to believe that Canada is that young! Now bring on the fireworks that shouldn't be fired off in a residential area. Why do people insist on breaking the law that way? There must be something in the city bylaws that allows them to get away with it...still at 10pm when you're trying to sleep, it can be annoying. Especially when people are firing them off when there is no holiday! Whatever!

One thing I have to say about that is "Take off, eh!" and "You hosier!". Okay, now that Bob and Doug Mackenzie are out of my system... How Canadian am I?!

As well as it being Canada Day, strawberry season has begun. Strawberries are one of my most favourite food. I remember as a kid going with my mum and sister to pick berries at one of the local U-Pick places. I think I ate more than went in the "pints". Still, it was fun... Stained hands and upset tummies...tons of fun!

I did end up cutting some rhubarb today and made a strawberry rhubarb crisp. It came out more like a fruit chutney. I now remember why I don't do rhubarb crisp - it comes out really runny! Oh, well. It still tasted good....IMHO. Tomorrow, I think I'll just use strawberries in something and leave the rhubarb alone for a while. Besides, there is some still that needs to ripen.

Well, again, Happy Canada Day and happy strawberry season. Have fun with the fireworks even if they keep you up late at night. Eat some strawberries and don't worry about the noise!

Poem to the Strawberry

Strawberry, strawberry
oh, how you glow.
Strawberry, strawberry
I'll watch you grow.

You glisten in the sunlight-
sparkle all day long.
I want to eat you-
is that so wrong?

What are you thinking
as I pick you, dear strawberry?
I want to know-
I can't think clearly.

Strawberry, strawberry
I gobble you up.
Strawberry, strawberry
for you, it's tough luck.
-CEC

No comments:

You are visitor #